About Our School
Jefferson-Houston is Alexandria's first PreK to 8th grade school. It is located on the west side of Alexandria's Old Town, near the King Street Metro Station. A new, state-of-the-art school facility opened in September 2014 and has received several awards for its environmental features. The school serves as a community hub for city activities and sporting events.
Jefferson-Houston PreK - 8, a fully authorized International Baccalaureate (IB) World School, is authorized for the IB Primary Years Programme (PYP) and IB Middle Years Programme (MYP).
The IB programmes focus on developing the whole child so that they gain the intellectual, personal, emotional, and social skills needed to live, learn, and work in a rapidly globalizing world.
The school is dedicated to two prominent Americans: Thomas Jefferson, the third president of the United States, and Charles Hamilton Houston, lawyer and humanitarian, who was a pioneer in the movement to integrate the District of Columbia Public Schools. The school mascot is the jaguar, one of the big cat species, known for its curiosity, intelligence, and strength.
Jefferson-Houston PreK-8, a fully authorized IB World School is a transparent environment where students and teachers work together to create a learning environment of high expectations, achievement, and effective effort as emphasized through deliberate and rigorous instruction that encompasses the entire global community.
At our school, we help students realize their unique potential by providing personalized, relevant, and rigorous academic experiences. We aim to develop students who possess the knowledge, skills, attitudes, and desire to become lifelong learners. Jefferson-Houston students translate their learning into action by contributing to the school, local, and world community. At Jefferson-Houston, we celebrate diversity and embrace our universal commonalities.
Awards and Honors
- Official International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme (IB-PYP) school
- Recognized International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme (IB-MYP)
- LEED-certified school with Gold Award for its green building features
- Platinum Award for Architecture given by the Virginia School Boards Association (VSBA)
- Back to School Night - families explore the school and visit with teachers and staff
- Hallo-READ - an IB reading mentoring program
- All for Books Fundraiser - students raise funds for books by participating in a read-a-thon prior to our Scholastic Book Fair
- Fall Scholastic Book Fair - hosted in the library to raise funds for new library resources
- Winter Concert - a collaboration between our Orchestra, Band, and Choral programs
- Hour of Code - a national program held each December to encourage students to explore computer science
- Winter Book Fair at Hooray for Books - hosted at the Hooray for Books store to raise funds for new classroom and library resources
- Science Fair
- KPMG's Family for Literacy (KFFL) - Reading Celebration and Book Giveaway
- Jump Rope and Hoops for Heart - service-learning opportunity in which students raise funds through events organized by our Physical Education and Health department to support the American Heart Association
- Drama productions - a collaboration between our Drama department and our PTA
- ACPS Poetry Contest for 3rd-5th Grade - held every March and concludes with an award ceremony in April
- Pennies for Patients - service-learning opportunity in which students raise funds through a donation drive organized by our Physical Education and Health department to support the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
- Career Day - held each Spring and coordinated by our Guidance Counselor and our PTA
- Spring Scholastic Book Fair - hosted in the library to raise funds for new library resources
- Spring Concert - a collaboration between our Orchestra, Band, and Choral programs
- Field Day - a collaboration between our Physical Education and Health department and our PTA
- PBIS Monthly Events - a special event is held each month for students who have demonstrated the four PBIS expectations
- Family Fun Nights - held throughout the year
- Campagna Center - PM Extended Day Care
- PTA After School Clubs - Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday
- PTA Reflections in Art, Music, Photography, and Writing - held in early Fall
- Read Across Alexandria - supports literacy through classroom read-alouds by guests from the Alexandria Fire Department and Sheriff's Office
- School Garden - includes four raised beds that serve as a learning garden for all grade levels
In 2010, our students chose the jaguar as the school mascot. We believe the jaguar embodies the qualities of curiosity, confidence, commitment and independence.
Jefferson-Houston PreK-8, a fully authorized IB World School awards a stamp on a special tracking card to promote student courtesy and etiquette. Teachers encourage students to:
- Be Respectful
- Be Responsible
- Be Safe
- Be Your Best
The teacher distributes stamps to a student's special tracking cards when the student demonstrates one of these values. When giving the stamp, the teacher explains to the student what the teacher noticed, and why the teacher appreciated the behavior. All staff members have a special golden Jaguar paw that can be given to an entire class when they demonstrate one of the PBIS values.
Jefferson- Houston PreK- 8, a Fully Authorized IB World School: Data
State Accreditation Historical Results
To learn more, review the Virginia School Quality Profile on the Virginia Department of Education website or review recent test scores.
Enrollment: 637 students
Student Body Demographics
- American Indian or Alaska Native: 0%
- Asian: 4%
- Black or African American: 51%
- Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander: 0%
- White: 20%
- Hispanic: 21%
- Multi-racial: 4%
- Eligible for free or reduced price meals: 59.9%
- Students requiring English Learners (EL) services: 17%
- Students receiving special education services:16%
- Number of Licensed Staff: 58
- With postgraduate degrees: 86%